Thursday, April 3, 2014

April 3, 2014

Tonight, I thought I was doing a friend a favor. 

A few weeks ago, a friend stopped in at the end of praise team practice when all the hard work was done and we were doing what I really love to do best - sitting around the keyboard, piddling, singing songs that we like, relaxed, and comfortable with just singing and listening.  He asked if we would be interested in singing for his church which was starting to have church on Thursdays.  Just come in, do what we were doing there, and let them sing with us. 

A quick survey of nods, and we agreed.

I don't know how to say this and make it sound good, because there probably isn't a way to do that.

I love working together to bring music to the church services at my church.  I love it.  I love trying to get people to a place where they see a glimpse of God's character in some way clear enough for their heart to open up a little farther and experience Him a little more.  But the logistics of it all can be exhausting.  There are a lot of details, a lot of practice, a lot more worry than I should allow myself.   It can't just be songs I like, it can't just be slow ones, or just fast ones etc. 

So, back to the story.  I thought I was doing a friend a favor.

I wasn't able to be there right at the time I had asked everyone to meet me.  I couldn't figure out how to fit the keyboard in my civic, with the stand, the stool, the music stand etc.  I was still babysitting at 5:45.  My son, who is normally the set-up guy for the cords and wires for the keyboard and a strong tenor voice was sick and out of commission.   But God show His love for me a million times a day and many of those are in the details!

So, first - Brit - my partner in this praise team leading - came by early and asked if she could go ahead and take the keyboard for me since I was running late and she had a van.  Ha ha - thank God!
She thought to ask about the stool and the music stand or they would have been left behind.  And off she went with most of the stuff. 

Second - I arrived 10 minutes late (not to church, just for set up) to the whole thing already connected up and playable.  Thanks Joe and thank You again God!

Believe it or not, talking makes me nervous.  I worry about talking too long, saying something silly etc.  But, I walked into this place feeling free to speak, free to sing, free to worship, free to lead worship.  I think that's funny I think God should be the worship leader.  We should just be the followers!

Either way, I realized that God called me and a group of friends tonight to do a favor for a friend so He could bless me!  It may not have been the only reason, but it was definitely one of them.  I needed to sit in a place that was already free and experience freedom again.  I needed to feel sure that for this moment I was doing what I was called to do.  I needed to hear encouragement from the congregation.  Amen, glory, yes, . . . I needed to feel less pressure.  I needed to just relax and worship and just know that everyone would follow as I did.

God knew what I needed.  He knew how much I needed tonight.  He knew that a tiny little church could bless my socks off tonight by just being willing to follow where the Spirit of God led them.  And, he knew that the whole praise team would be blessed by being a part of it.  I hope they were, because I was! 

I know that I am in the local church body that I am called to, doing what I am called to do, but it is nice when the greater body of Christ works together as they should.  The Spirit of God is easily recognizable no matter what name is on the door. 


No comments:

Post a Comment